DIGITAL TOOLBOX brought to you by
Long Island Key Television & Cable Contacts
Pitching Tips: Before you pitch a story, check the station's contour map to see if your story is appropriate for the audience size and reach.
Reporters prefer to know who they are dealing with; focus on building relationships, not simply sending press releases and cold calling.
Avoid pitching/cold calling while reporters are on air, or preparing to go on air.
Avoid pitching during heavy news cycles, unless your story is directly related to such news.
Make your phone pitch in 30 seconds or less.
Email pitches should be succinct and contain all pertinent information, including who, what, when, where, why and how.
Click on a logo to go to the station's website.
Individual Points of Contact
- James Whiteman, News Director, News 12 LI; JMWHITEMAN@news12.com
- Alan Goodman, Executive Producer, News 12 LI; AWGOODMAN@news12.com
- Kelly Drossel, Executive Producer, News 12 LI; KDROSSEL@news12.com
- Doug Richards, Managing Editor, News 12 LI; DRRICHARDS@news12.com
- Frank Pokorney, Executive Producer – Digital, News 12 Networks; FAPOKORNEY@news12.com
- Shawn Brown, Sr. Producer – Social Media, News 12 Networks; SBROWN5@news12.com
To pitch a story:
Send your pitch via email or even text. Pitching a day prior is often best. Phone calls are fine, but may not be answered if covering a story. To follow up on a pitch, send a text or email no later than 8 a.m. on the morning of the event.