A half-day event designed for women in all phases of their careers!
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 | 7.30 a.m. – 12 noon | Briarcliffe College, Bethpage, N.Y.
Fair Media Council’s Women’s Empowerment Summit is a half-day event designed for women in all phases of their careers: From recent college graduates and upper management to those transitioning between careers or reentering the workforce.
Exhibit Sponsor: Bethpage Federal Credit Union
7:30 a.m.: Registration, networking & continental breakfast Sponsored by Hofstra University
8:00 a.m.: Program & A-List Raffle Begins
8:45 a.m.-10:00 a.m. Session I Workshops:
How to Choose a Mentor: The Secret Weapon Every Woman Needs to Succeed
Maryann Hennessey, CPCC, MBTI Certified Practioner & President, Hennessey Partners Inc.- Maryann Hennessey works with business executives, owners, and professionals who want to reach their full potential, act as catalysts for positive change, and step up fully as leaders in their organizations and lives. As a trusted partner and champion, Maryann helps her clients move forward past internally and externally imposed limitations, step outside their comfort zones, and become more fully expressed as they reach their goals.
- Cania Infante, Assistant Vice President-Regional Manager, Bethpage Federal Credit Union- Cania Infante manages branch operations – portfolio growth, strategic planning and implementation, and customer service – for the Western Region, consisting of twenty-five percent of Bethpage’s overall branch network. A multi-faceted voice in the community, she has accepted leadership roles in business, government, and academia to leverage resources across high-needs communities on Long Island. She has been profiled by Long Island WINS and her opinions on timely local issues have been published by the Long Island Business News.
- Stacey E. Rosen, MD, FACC, FACP, FASE, Vice President, Women’s Health,The Katz Institute for Women’s Health, North Shore-LIJ Health System, Associate Professor of Cardiology, Hofstra North Shore -LIJ School of Medicine- Stacey Rosen, MD is the Vice President for the Katz Institute for Women’s Health (KIWH) and oversees the development and coordination of a comprehensive and integrated approach to women’s services at the Health System. Dr. Rosen is a practicing cardiologist and echocardiographer and was the Associate Chairman of the Department of Cardiology at LIJ prior to joining KIWH. She is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine and currently serves as a Society Master at the School of Medicine.
- Moderator: Saundra Thomas, Vice President of Community Affairs, WABC-TV- Saundra Thomas is a 25-year veteran of New York’s #1 rated TV station.Thomas manages all on-air public service announcements, community outreach and station community projects for the tri-state.She also acts as a liaison between the public and the station and recommends news and programming coverage of important topics. She is responsible for philanthropic endeavors on behalf of the TV station as well.
Style in the Workplace: Making the Right Impression When You Enter a Room
Nicole B. Brewer, Executive Editor & Publisher, Hamptons.com, Web & Sales Development, Hamptons Online- Nicole B. Brewer is the Executive Vice President for PCLI and co-creator of the award-winning website Hamptons.com. She works with freelance and contributing writers and manages all social media, marketing, web design, and branding for the site. Nicole is an award winning editor, journalist, and photographer.
Karin Caro, CEO, BluChip Marketing- Karin Caro’s dedication to corporate business development has been integral to her companies’ growth, as the finesse she displayed throughout the expansion process for several of her businesses were recognized by Inc. 500 as three of the fastest growing companies nationwide.In addition, she dedicates much of her time and creativity to the community, with her involvement in various organizations and charities.
Moderator: Stacey Sweet, Executive Producer, Life Is Sweet TV-Stacey Sweet is a nationally recognized, award-winning on air television host, correspondent and producer. Life is Sweet TV, is a unique online news and entertainment content site that was recently honored for feature coverage with a prestigious Folio Award. Sweet is the former Weekend Co-Host and Senior Correspondent for TV’s news magazine, Inside Edition, and was a NY based Correspondent for TV Guide Network. Sweet is also an alumnus of News 12 Long Island.
Negotiating Skills: Understanding Your True Value Sponsored by TD Bank
Ivy Algazy, Director of Community Outreach, The Katz Institute for Women’s Health, North Shore- LIJ Health System- Ivy Algazy, the Director of Community Outreach for the Katz Institute for Women’s Health, works with administrative leadership to develop a strategic vision and set direction for community engagement that increases awareness and support for the Institute. In her role, Ivy builds and maintains partnerships with community groups and associations as well as organizes and coordinates outreach programs which promote women’s health and wellness.
Ann M. Butera, President, Whole Person Project, Inc.- Ann M. Butera’s hands-on managerial experience in the retail, investment and banking industries, in conjunction with her experience as a business owner, business school instructor, and consultant, enables her to develop customized approaches for continuous improvement and increased profitability in organizations of all sizes. Ann Butera received her Masters of Business Administration in Organizational Development from Adelphi University, and is a Summa Cum Laude graduate of L.I. University/C.W. Post College
Jackie Harounian, Partner, The Law Firm of Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. – Jacqueline Harounian is a partner at The Law Firm of Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C., where she adeptly handles complex family & matrimonial litigation, appearing on divorce, custody, & support matters in the Family and Supreme Courts in Long Island & New York City. She is a 2012 Super Lawyer (awarded to only 5% of NY attorneys) and a 2012 Top Women Attorneys in NY Metro Area, Super Lawyers (50 attorneys awarded).
Lynda Herndon, Executive Director, Queens Symphony Orchestra
Tracy Ongena, President & Founder, Alvita Care- Tracy Ongena is the founder and president of Alvita Care (www.alvitacare.com) where she is responsible for the overall direction and vision of the company. She has extensive global experience in investment banking, with an emphasis on structured finance and credit products. Ms. Ongena received an M.B.A. from both Columbia Business School and London Business School, a B.B.A. from University of Iowa and is a graduate of the INSTEP Economics Program at Cambridge University.
Moderator: Mona Rivera, Reporter, 1010WINS- 1010 WINS reporter since 2001, covering many Long Island stories and issues. Previously served as news director of WQXR, while it was the flagship station of The New York Times. BA in journalism and MBA in finance, both from New York University. Recipient of numerous awards, including Folio Awards!
Life Coaching: Keys to Achieving Happiness
Laurie Carey, Partner Technology Advisor, Microsoft Corporation, U.S. Chapter Lead for SMSG Women at Microsoft- Laurie Carey has 30 plus years of experience in the Technology business and has been with Microsoft for 8 years. In her role at Microsoft Laurie works with Partners improving the customer/partner experience by developing partner technical sales capacity. She specializes in career and business transitions focusing specifically on challenging and motivating people to achieve more.
Vonekham “Vonni” Guthrie, Director of Development, Hope for Youth , Author, “Moving Beyond H.E.R.E!” - Vonnekham “Vonni” Guthrie has extensive experience in the social sector raising support and awareness on the critical issues of today. At Hope For Youth, she champions the effort to facilitate positive change in the lives of children, adolescents and families involved in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems. Vonni is the recipient of the LIU-CW Post’s Outstanding Service to the Community Award, also Columbia University’s Dean’s Citation.
Donna Martini, Wellness Activist & Coach, Writer & Author, DM Enterprises, LLC- Donna Martini is a Wellness Activist, Coach and Author who brings healthy lifestyle programs to NFP’s, businesses, schools, government, and families. Recently appointed as the Lead Ambassador of Wellness at Large for Nassau County, she is helping Long Island tackle the tough health issues we are facing today. As a Nassau County Planning Commissioner, Certified Green Pro, Government Liaison to the US Green Building Council and Head Advisor to the Conservation District of NC, she helps write policies and programs that ensure our offices, homes and community stay healthy as well.
Moderator: Jennifer McLogan, Long Island Reporter, WCBS-TV- Jennifer McLogan has been a correspondent with CBS, and before that, NBC for 3 decades. She has been stationed in Boston, Chicago and New York. She is the winner of multiple local and national Emmy Awards, covering major news stories on Long Island and beyond. She and her husband and 3 children live in Garden City.
Jean Summit-Riker, Life Coach & Hypnotist, Tranquility Based Life Coaching, Author of “Forever Is Still a Long, Long Time”, Certified Laughter Leader, Reiki Master - Jean Summit-Riker has a private practice in Patchogue, New York, where she works with professional women helping them eliminate the defeating mindsets that interfere with them achieving greater business and personal success. She works with goal attainment, increasing self-esteem and empowerment as well as specializing in issues of transition, loss, stress reduction, weight management, & smoking cessation.
Maintaing Focus: The Mind-Body Connection
- Erena DiGonis, LMSW, Psychotherapist & Certified Life Coach- Erena DiGonis, helps women release the diet drama and end the yo-yo dieting cycle. She creates personalized one-on-one coaching programs that draw on her diverse training and experience in psychotherapy, food psychology, mindfulness, and holistic nutrition. Erena has over 10 years of experience in the social service and health care area.
- Moderator: Donna Drake, Creator, Executive Producer/Host, Live It Up!, Drake Media Network- Donna Drake, an international award winning creative artist, writer, producer, actress, voice-over talent, and the Creator and Executive Producer/Host of her new television show “Live it Up!” with Donna Drake. The show features stories, tips and resources filled with positive messages of hope, motivation, and inspiration to empower others.
- Miriam Goldstein, Integrative Mind-Body Health Specialist – Miriam Goldstein works in her practice, Stone to Water Therapeutics, 301 East Main Street, Centerport, NY. 11721 and lends her services to Marshall Chiropractic, Oyster Bay, NY and Weinstein Chiropractic, Melville, NY. as a Licensed Massage Therapist, and Sunrise Assisted Living in Glen Cove, NY as a guest speaker teaching meditation for the Parkinson’s support group.
- Deborah Roth, MA, PCC, Life Design Strategist & Interfaith Minister, Spirited Living- Deborah Roth is an ICF-certified Coach dedicated to co-creating practical and magical strategies with individuals and groups to achieve fabulous lives, work, and relationships. She has spent the last 35 years coaching, training, writing, and speaking in the for-profit and not-for-profit sectors, for large corporations, small businesses, and solo-preneurs.
- Birgit “Billie” Weiss, RMT, CH, Hollistic Health Consultant, Hypotherapist & Non-Dominational Minister- Birgit “Billie” Weiss is a Holistic Health Consultant, and specializes in the mind-body connection. Her treatments are a powerful blend of energy medicine, Hypnosis and spiritual healing; where the focus is treating the whole being mind, body and spirit. Through these treatments she teaches her clients how to make that mind-body connection. In a session she can trace the‘origin’ of how and why her client has this ‘illness’ in the body or block to their goals. There is an origin and it starts with what a person is thinking and feeling!
Next Level Leadership: Illustrating the Right Mix of Vision, Innovation & Fearlessness
- Karen Garvey, MBA, Author, International Speaker, Intuitive, Personal & Professional Coach, The Answers Unlimited- Karen Garvey acquired extensive business experience after obtaining her MBA. On 9/11, she “received” simultaneous information about what was occurring, her first experience learning something not through earthly means. Presently, through this conduit to universal knowledge, Karen provides ongoing insights for seminars, media appearances, & books. She also offers coaching to clients, enabling them to shorten their success path.
- Cathy Wilke, Business Alchemist & Holistic Marketing Coach-Cathy Wilke helps artists, healers and coaches make a living doing the work they love. She specializes in working with those in the field of self-improvement and healing to translate their powerful work into compelling marketing that speaks to their ideal clients. Cathy created The Yoga Of Marketing, a business building program to help entrepreneurs get their great work out into the world.
Trail Blazers: Female Icons Tell All sponsored by Daniel Gale Sotheby’s International Realty
- Katherine Heaviside, President, Epoch 5 Public Relations- Katherine Heaviside was named one of Long Island’s “Top Influentials” by LIBN, and is leader in the field of public relations — providing counsel to hundreds of current and former clients throughout the New York Metropolitan area. An expert communicator and strategist, she forges strong relationships with members of the media as well as businesses, foundations, associations, and community and government leaders.
- S. Elizabeth Hill, President, St. Joseph’s College- S. Elizabeth Hill, C.S.J., J.D., one of the region’s most influential women, has been president of St. Joseph’s College since 1997. Since her inauguration, S. Elizabeth has overseen the expansion of two campuses, most notably the construction of a state-of-the-art Business and Technology Center and 24.8-acre premiere outdoor sports facility on the Long Island Campus, as well as a 44,000-square-foot athletic complex on the Brooklyn Campus. Under her leadership, the College’s enrollment and range of academic offerings have continuously increased while tuition has remained consistently among the lowest in the New York metropolitan area.
- Pat Petersen, President & CEO, Daniel Gale Sotheby’s International Realty- Patricia Petersen is a recognized expert in the world of residential real estate sales and marketing. Under her leadership, Daniel Gale Sotheby’s International Realty has grown to become a $2.5 billion dollar organization with 27 offices and divisions and more than 600 sales associates. Daniel Gale Sotheby’s International Realty consistently leads the nation in achieving one of the highest average sales prices in the country. Daniel Gale has been the exclusive affiliate of Sotheby’s International Realty for Long Island’s North Shore since 1976. Under Pat’s direction the Sotheby’s program has flourished, winning the prestigious Sotheby’s Leading Worldwide Network Affiliate Award for the last seven years in a row.
- Theresa Santmann, Businesswoman, Philanthropist, - Raised in a home with 11 siblings and facing many struggles, Theresa Santmann would grow up to become the first woman in the state of New York to get an FHA Mortgage to start a nursing home. With a $37,000 loan and money from insurance policies, Santmann started the Little Flower Residence. Recently she has been very active in the community donating to Farmingdale State College as well as Babylon High School to improve buildings and classrooms.
- Helena E. Williams, President, MTW Long Island Rail Road- Helena E. Williams, President of MTA Long Island Rail Road and long-time Nassau County resident, is the first woman to lead the nation’s busiest commuter railroad. Married to her St. John’s Law School sweetheart Paul R. Williams, she is the mother of three children. Her career has been defined by top-level experience in transportation and Long Island public service.
11:30 a.m.-12 noon: Networking & Raffle Prizes & A-List Raffle Announced
Email email@example.com or call 1.516.224.1860, ext. 705
- GET YOUR BUZZ ON! – Looking for some feedback on your corporate brand? Win an exclusive free brand review from the expert team at BigBuzz Marketing Group. (Value: $2,500.00)
- GETTING STARTED & WIN THREE BOOKS TO ENHANCE YOUR BUSINESS SAVVY! Win a 1 hour business strategy session with Ann Butera, President of The Whole Person Project where goals are achieved! 3 books: Business Ethics-The Right Way To Riches, Spelling God with Two O’s by local author Arthur Dobrin from Westbury, New York, and The Truth About The News Rules of Business Writing by Natalie Canavor & Claire Meirowitz! (Value $1570.00)
- OHEKA CASTLE GETAWAY! Win an overnight weekday stay in 2 Chateau Rooms & Continental Breakfast for 4! (Value: $790.00)
- LOVE THE THEATRE ARTS? WIN THIS INCREDIBLE PACKAGE OF TICKETS! #1: Win 4 tickets to see a performance by Sir James Galway with The Irish Chamber Orchestra on Saturday, October 26, 2013! #2: 2 tickets to the Madison Theatre at Molloy College, Rockville Centre. #3: 2 tickets to Creative Ministries Performing Arts Center in Oakdale, NY! (Value: $600.00)
- A MONTAUK GET-AWAY; DON’T FORGET TO BRING YOUR GOODY BAG! Enjoy a relaxing one night stay for 2 at Gurney’s Inn- Resort & Spa in Montauk! Breakfast for two and general use of the Sea Water Spa is included! Your goody bag includes: A chock full of Briarcliffe College merchandise- this bag is just the thing to give a current student or alum! Win it and show your support for one of the area’s most community-focused colleges! (Value: $475.00)
- GET HEALTHY: BODY, MIND & SOUL & WIN THREE BOOKS TO ENHANCE YOUR BUSINESS SAVVY: Win 3 Body/Mind/Nutrition Coaching sessions instructed by the one-and-only Donna Martini at the New Day Studio in Oyster Bay! Also win these 3 books: Business Ethics-The Right Way To Riches, Spelling God with Two O’s by local author Arthur Dobrin from Westbury, New York, and & The Truth About The News Rules of Business Writing by Natalie Canavor & Claire Meirowitz (Value: $370.00)
- OVERNIGHT STAY & GOURMET GIFT BASKET! Get away & enjoy a 1 night stay for 2 at the Four Points by Sheraton in Plainview. Conveniently located off the LIE, this Starwood Hotel makes you feel right at home. Win it for yourself, family or an out-of-state guest! Also win a gift certificate for a Gourmet Gift Basket from Family Affair Distributing, Inc. “Gifts & Baskets With Personality” (Value: $290.00)
- NO EXCUSES! Win a 3-month membership for TWO at ANY Eastern Athletic Club (eligible for any one of their 3 locations). Bring a friend and build a healthy habit! (Value: $280.00)
- GET STARTED ON YOUR NEXT HOME IMPROVEMENT PROJECT: Win a fabulous free design imaging session courtesy from the experts at Alure Home Improvements, Inc.! Plus, terrific people to work with, makes this a priceless gift for yourself or someone you know! (Value: $250.00)
- SPA DAY! Win a gift certificate for T. Carlton’s Spalon and enjoy a Haircut, Conditioning Treatment, ½ hour Facial AND Cosmetic Make-over! Why not? You deserve it! (Value: $200)
- NEED AN ENERGY BOOST? Win a Gift Certificate to a 90-minute Gemstone Energy Medicine Session from Birgit “Billie’ Weiss RMT CH, Hollistic Health Consultant, Hypnotherapist, energy healer & Non-Denominational Minister- “Therapeutic Gemstones make the perfect energy medicine tool because of their powerful energies and profound resonance with the human body!” (Value: $175.00)
- YOU, THE BOBBLEHEAD VERSION! Out of gift ideas? Try this on for size: Win your own bobblehead! Makes a great gift and conversation piece. Heck, we won’t tell if you want to keep it all for yourself. We understand: We got one, too! (Value: $85.00-$135.00)
- PREPARE FOR THE PAPARAZZI! WIN 2 Gold Pass tickets to the Long Island International Film Expo @ the Bellmore Movies- These two tickets allow you into any and every film in this year’s line-up of independent films! (Value: $130.00)
- SUMMERTIME BREW, COURTESY OF LI’S OWN BREWERY! Win two cases of beer from our favorite local brewery! Perfect for a backyard shindig to kick-off the summer. While you’re at it, GRILL, BABY, GRILL! You haven’t ‘cued til you’ve tried this delicious BBQ sauce – and you’ll look the part of grill master with the stylish BBQ swag, all courtesy of Farmingdale College! (2 cases of beer, BBQ sauce, & BBQ Swag-(Value: $80.00-$100.00)
- WANT YOUR NAME IN A NOVEL? Have you ever wanted your name to appear in a novel? Now’s your chance. Long Island author Dina Santorelli, voted one of the two best authors on Long Island for 2013 (Long Island Press), is raffling* off the name of a character in her next thriller, tentatively titled In the Red. Dina, a freelance journalist, writer and editor for more than 15 years, has written for Newsday, First for Women and CNNMoney.com, among other outlets, and is the author of the novel, Baby Grand, a Top Rated Mystery/Thriller on Amazon Kindle. She blogs about the writing life at http://makingbabygrand.com- *Upon its selection, Fair Media Council (FMC) will supply the author with the winner’s name, which will be used at the author’s discretion. The author retains all rights to the character name and novel. The winner’s name, as well as title and company name, if applicable, may be cited in the Acknowledgments of the novel, also per the author’s discretion.
- TREAT YOURSELF & A FRIEND! Win 2 gift certificates to Donna Oggi: Today’s Women Full Service Hair Salon. Includes a haircut, deep conditioning treatment, and a blow out! As well as 2 admission tickets to the Cinema Arts Centre- Enjoy a night out and catch a foreign or indy flick at the Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington, L.I.! (Value: $100.00)
- BUTTERFLIES & A SCENSATIONAL BOUQUET! No, not the beautiful bug; the restaurant! Enjoy some New American Cuisine at Butterflies in Hauppauge, as well as a gift certificate to Town & Country Flowers in Manhasset and send someone special some unexpected happiness! (Value: $100.00)
- ENJOY THE LATEST BOOK BY LONG ISLAND AUTHOR KERRIANN FLANAGAN BROSKY WHILE BREWING YOUR OWN TEA! The Medal by Kerriann Flanagan Brosky- “Inspiring and faith filled- The Medal brings us along one woman’s journey as she navigates life’s heartaches eventually finding her way back to her own heart-and true faith, with a little help from a cannoli eating angel, proving that even God has a sense of humor!”- Danielle Campbell, Journalist & Anchor, News 12 Long Island. Then make your own tea with teh Assam Teapot w/ 2 fine quality teas, serendipiTea- A Guide to the Varieties, Origins, and Rituals of Tea by Tomislav Podreka, TeaLife Lip Balm- Do you love tea? If you answered yes then this is the perfect prize for you. Learn all about Tea while brewing your own with the Assam Teapot from serendipiTea! (Value: $80.00)
- DARK HORSE RESTAURANT! Win a gift certificate to Dark Horse in Riverhead! From home-style comfort foods to gourmet vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free selections, Dark Horse Restaurant in Riverhead has it all! (Value: $50.00)
- PSYCHIC READING: What does the future have in store for you? WIN a 15-minute phone session with Spiritual Medium & Psychic, Janet Russell! (Value: $50.00)
- SECOND CHANCE! WIN a 15-minute phone session with Spiritual Medium & Psychic, Janet Russell! (Value: $50.00)