Teacher Award Entry Deadline Nov. 30, 2012
The Fair Media Council’s Media Savvy Teacher Award recognizes 4th, 5th and 6th grade teachers who are using news in their classrooms. Sponsored by Bethpage Federal Credit Union.
FMC wants to encourage teachers to use news in the classroom, and makes it easy to enter our awards program! Here’s what you need to know…
Entries are due by Nov. 30, 2012 and will be judged by community leaders.
NEW: We’re introducing new categories to this program:
- Financial Literacy: To create money savvy kids
- Drug & Alcohol Abuse Prevention (in conjunction with LICADD) Literacy: To create kids with healthy minds & healthy bodies.
- General News Literacy: To further kids’ understanding of local, national and world events
- Teachers working with fourth, fifth and sixth graders anywhere in the United States may enter.
- Student projects must be completed before entering the FMC Media Savvy Teacher Award process. (Entries must explain, in less than 200 words, the idea or concept behind the program, how the concept was implemented and how results were measured.)
- Projects must contain these elements: A research component using multiple news sources; a writing, reading, graphic, video or audio component to illustrate the researched information; and a copy of the completed, final presentation (may be submitted on disc, via link or hard copy).
- Projects must focus on one of the three categories outlined above.
- The project may be for any length of time and any number of students.
- Teachers may submit multiple entries (note that entry fees apply for each entry).
- Entries must be accompanied by the following information: Teacher’s name and contact number, School address and phone number, Grade level of the project (fourth, fifth or sixth); Number of students who participated and summary of project, goals and outcome (no more than 200 words).
- Send entries by the due date to Fair Media Council, Briarcliffe College, 1055 Stewart Ave., Bethpage, N.Y. 11714 with a check payable to Fair Media Council. Or, send in your entries via email to email@example.com and use our online payment option now (see below).
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification of rules and criteria.
Past Winners of FMC’s Media Savvy Teacher Awards:
Anastasia Gavalas, Education Consultant, Southampton Elementary School, Southampton, N.Y.: Students used the media to research prominent leaders and the impact of those leaders on society. They then formed their own ideas on effective leadership and presented their ideas in the form of a book and video.
Evan Curran, Fourth Grade Teacher, Laddie Decker School, Sound Beach, N.Y.: Students were taught how to blog and corresponded with soldiers in Afganistan to enhance the learning experience. The project incorporated the advancement of technology and English skills, as well as current events, history and geography.